Sunday, June 20, 2010

One Week Until Haiti


Well...I guess it is time to start journaling about our trip to Haiti. I decided to use my blog to do this. We are told we will actually have access to the internet.

Needless to say, I am apprehensive about this trip. I have been to the Philippines, Hungary and Mexico. I have seen poberty, but I don't know if I am really prepared for what we will be experiencing in Haiti. I do know, however, that my desire and focus is to serve God and show the people of Haiti that he loves them. For once this trip is not about me.

It is interesting to hear mysself say that. God has placed this desire to learn, know and experience other cultures in me. I admit that a huge part of going on mission trips was the desire to experience another culture. I feel that this one is different. Yes Haiti has a unique culture, and yes, I have done a lot of reading and studying. I wiill enjoy getting to know, see and experience the culture, but my primary purpose is stregnthening the Haitian people.

It is interesting that we will be doing a VBS. It isn't exactly what I wanted to be doing. I wanted to help reconstruct, but I see God's providence. One of the biggest things the Haitian people need is to know that God is still there despite all that has happened. We will have the opportunity to share a message of hope and faith to both children and adults. May God use us to stregnthen the people we meet and help them learn to trust and depend on him. May he use Haiti to stregnthen us and help us learn to trust and depend upon him.

Please keep our team in your prayers.

No comments: