Friday, March 12, 2010

GF and Sugar free Sweet and Sour Sauce

I don't really talk about it much on here.  I probably need to talk about it more.  I am gluten intolerant and diabetic.  The problem is.  I REALLY LOVE FOOD!!!! And I love to cook.  So I have been trying to invent different recipes that will allow me to enjoy food while being gluten free(GF) and low in sugar.  The other day I made a sweet and sour sauce that I thought was worth sharing.

There is an issue in sharing this recipe.  I don't measure things out.  So if someone want to take what I have here and give it some measurement I would greatly appreciate it.  So here is my GF/Sugar Free Sweet and Sour Sauce recipe.

Ingredients:

Rice Vinegar
Sugar Free Ketchup
Agave Nectar (Very low Glycemic Index)
Soy Sauce
Corn Starch

Like I said, I don't measure things out which makes it hard to share recipes.  I mix the rice vinegar, sugar free ketchup and agave nectar in a small saucepan.  The amounts will vary according to your taste.  I like vinegar so I make sure I can taste it.  After you get the ratio of ingredients to where you want it heat it up until it starts to boil.  Bring down your heat and let it simmer while you prepare the soy sauce and corn starch.  Again, depending on how thick you want your sauce depends on how much cornstarch you use.  I like my sauce a little thin.  Mix the soy and cornstarch well.  Add to the simmering sauce and stir until well mixed and thickened.  There you have it!!

Again, if anyone wants to experiment with the ingredients and come up with some measurements please do.  Please leave what you come up with in the comments.

No comments: