Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Yesterday

I didn't post anything yesterday because I was gone to Bullhead for most of the day. Tami, Kaelisa and I headed to Bullhead because Kaelisa had to go to court! Nah, she isn't in trouble, but she is officially Kaelisa Amber Van Dyke now!! Some may or may not know that Kaelisa is not my biological daughter (doesn't stop her from being my daughter though). Her biological father wouldn't let me adopt her but now that she is 18 she changed her legal name to mine.

I've heard that names show ownership. By Kaelisa changing her name she has said "I am a Van Dyke!" She has taken ownership. She is identifying herself with me and my family. It reminds me of when we call ourselves Christian. The name Christian means a whole lot more than it just being a title or label. It means "I am a Christ follower." When we call ourselves Christians we are basically taking ownership of what that word means.

I am very happy that Kaelisa chose to own me! ;) I love her a lot. If it wasn't for her Tami and I wouldn't be together. If you want the scoop on that just ask.

1 comment:

Beardedoverland said...

Here is my two cents....

Exodus 20:7 “You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain, for the LORD will not hold him guiltless who takes His name in vain.

I personally don't think this verse has anything to do with vocabulary. But everything to do with what we label ourselves. We who call ourselves Christian's are taking on the Lord's name. I try not to take it lightly.