Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Purpose Driven Life - What Drives Your Life?

Today's chapter is titled "What Drives Your Life?"

A few (or a lot) of quotes that stuck out are:

"Everyone's life is driven by something."

"There are hundreds of circumstances, values, and emotions that can drive your life. Here are fieve of the most common ones...

Many people are driven by guilt...Guilt-driven people are manipulated by memories. They allow their past to control their future...We are products of our past, but we don't have to be prisoners of it. God's purpose is not limited by your past.

Many people are driven by resentment and anger...Instead of releasing their pain through forgiveness, they rehearse it over and over in their minds...Resentment always hurts you more than it does the person you resent...Those who have hurt you in the past cannot continue to hurt you now unless you hold on to the pain through resentment...For your own sake, learn from it, and then let it go.

Many people are driven by fear...Fear is a self-imposed prison that will keep you from becoming what God intends for you to be.

Many people are driven by materialism. Their desire to acquire becomes the whole goal of their lives...Possessions only provide temporary happiness...Self-worth and net worth are not the same. Your value is not determined by your valuables, and God says the most valuable things in life are not things!...Real security can only be found in that which can never be taken from you--your relationship with God.

Many people are driven by the need for approval. They allow the expectations of parents or spouses or children or teachers or friends to control their lives...Others are driven by peer pressure, always worried by what others might think. Unfortunately, those who follow the crowd usually get lost in it. I don't know all the keys to success, but one key to failure is to try to please everyone."

"There are other forces that can drive your life but all lead to the same dead end: unused potential, unnecessary stress, and an unfulfilled life."

Without a purpose, life is motion without meaning, activity without direction, and events without reason. Without a purpose, life is trivial, petty and pointless."

"There are five great benefits of living a purpose-driven life:

Knowing your purpose gives meaning to your life...Without God, life has no purpose, and without purpose, life has not meaning. Without meaning, life has no significance or hope.

Knowing your purpose simplifies your life. It defines what you do and what you don't do...Without clear purpose you have no foundation on which you base decisions, allocate your time, and use your resources...People who don't know their purpose try to do too much--and that causes stress, fatigue, and conflict...If you can't get it all done, it means you're trying to do more than God intended for you to do (or, possibly, that you're watching too much television).

Knowing your purpose focuses your life. It concentrates your effort and energy on what's important. You become effective by being selective...Without a clear purpose, you will keep changing directions, jobs, relationships, churches, or other externals--hoping each change will settle the confusion or fill the emptiness in your heart...Never confuse activity with productivity.

Knowing your purpose motivates your life. Purpose always produces passion. Nothing energizes like a clear purpose.

Knowing your purpose prepares you for eternity...What people fail to realize is that all achievements are eventually surpassed, records are broken, reputations fade, and tributes are forgotten...You weren't put on earth to be remembered. You were put here to prepare for eternity."

"One day you will stand before God...From the Bible we can surmise that God will ask us two crucial questions..."What did you do with my Son, Jesus Christ?"..."What did you do with what I gave you?"

Today's Point to Ponder is "Living on purpose is the path to peace."

Today's Verse to Remember is "You, Lord, give perfect peace to those who keep their purpose firm and put their trust in you." Isaiah 26:3 (TEV)

Today's Question to Consider is "What would my family and friends say is the driving force of my life? What do I want it to be?"

I think this is a great question. Unfortunately for me whether I am or not most people see God as a driving force in my life. I mean come one, I'm a pastor!!! The whole reason why anyone goes into the ministry is because of God, right?!

My family on the other hand might say something a little different. They see me at my best...when I'm tired, grouchy, wanting to be left alone. I do try to let God drive, but honestly, I fight between two driving forces. On the one hand I want God to be my driving force and on the other hand I often let my selfish nature do the driving.

I can see how purpose drives a life. It is a whole lot easier to get up in the morning when there is something to motivate me. That something is a purpose. I really enjoy blogging. I am motivated to spend time with God through it. It takes different things for different people.

As far as life goes. I want to be that person that can't wait to get up in the morning because today is another day to share Christ with the world. I'm not completely there yet, but I hope to one day be close.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Definitely looking forward to more blogs...............:)