Thursday, October 14, 2010

Simple Living - What Are You Living For?

Preface to this post.  We are going through a "spiritual journey" at our church called Simple Life.  We are being challenged to put our life under a microscope and identify areas where we are allowing busyness and complexity to be our god rather than God himself.  We encouraging people to "choose this day whom you will serve."  In doing so we are acknowledging that though there may be parts of our lives that are not inherently bad there are parts that need to be sacrificed in order to make God the controlling factor.  With that said...

My friend posted this today on her facebook.

"I'm second guessing whether letting [my son] sign up for band was a good idea. His required practice time + required reading time + homework + swim team + dinner + family time = too much to do and not enough time. I send him to bed thinking how I'm sure there's something we forgot to do. Ugh."

When I read this it summed up everything we have been talking about, up to this point, in Simple Life.  She is a Christian who loves the Lord, so don't get me wrong when I ask: Where is Jesus in this list?  I'm not trying to pick on her. In fact, when I read her status I immediately identified with her.  Her status update exemplifies most of Christendom.   We say Jesus is important with our lips, but when our lives are examined....our priorities are mixed up.

Later this morning I ran across this "Simple Life" verse in Isaiah.  "Why do you spend your money for that which is not bread, and your labor for that which does not satisfy?" (55:2).

All I can say is "WOW!!"  You mean to tell me that people way back then actually struggled in the same way we do?!  So much so that I guess Isaiah (or God through Isaiah) had to address the issue back then as well, but the question seems so simple!

God asks through Isaiah "What is there that you can spend money on that will last?"  Many of us are running after material things in life that in the grand scheme of things are just not that important.  What is important for the here and now are the basic necessities of life, but how many of us, when asked to make a list of basic necessities, would include things other than food, clothing and shelter?  Don't get me wrong.  You can have stuff, but when you make stuff the center of your life you have chosen to serve a master other than Christ.  The desire to accumulate stuff leads to a complex life.

God asks through Isaiah "What is there that you labor for that will bring true satisfaction?"  Many of us are running around like chickens with their heads cut off in search for what is satisfying.  We have gotten so out of control with our activities that they have taken over our lives.  Is it wrong to do things?  Absolutely not, but when you are doing them just to find satisfaction, when doing becomes the center of your life, then you have chosen to serve a master other than Christ.  The desire to find satisfaction through doing things leads to a complex life.

So I sit here today challenged by God's word.  Have I created a complex life for myself by making stuff and satisfaction the center of my life?  Have you?

To learn more about Simple Life: A Spiritual Journey check out Kingman Christian Church's website here.

No comments: