Thursday, December 31, 2009

New Year's Eve Contemplation

It is New Years Eve.  I'm sitting here at the table preparing to work on this month's budget, my World Religions class this next semester and looking forward and seeing what my children have in store for the next semester.  Obviously I'm not doing any of that just yet.  Instead, I'm sitting here thinking about 2009.

About an hour ago I watched a video of someone recapping this last year.  In their own words "This has been the best year of my life."  As I listen to the reasons for why it has been the best year of their life I'm left with the question "Is that it?!"

My thoughts pass on from this video to the couple year's ending letters we have received from family and friends.  Many people like to share the important aspects of the year such as significant achievements of their children, new things they have tried this last year (I have a friend who has started a professional wrestling career. No joke!!), tragedies and so on.  It is a nice way to keep up on what has transpired over this last year in their lives.  The accomplishments of their children are significant in their development.  So I don't want it to seem like I am completely downplaying what they have written, but once again I am left asking the question "Is that it?!"

As I continue to think I inevitably, and reluctantly, end up looking at my own life this past year.  What significant things have happened?  Have I done anything exciting or different?  Were there any tragedies?  As I go over different things I am struck with the same question.  "Is that it?!"

There is a lot to living.  Some times too much!!  It is easy to get caught up in the rush of life and forget about what is really important.  I feel like a lot has transpired over this past year.  I could probably sit down and write a pretty good letter recapping the lives of 7 people and a dog during the one year period of 2009, but I refuse to do so.  Instead, I look at my own life.  I wade past all the business.  I push beyond seemingly significant events.  I continue on until I come to the biggest question with the most significance.  Did I do anything significant for Christ this past year?  I am left speechless and stunned.  I can only pray that 2010 is a better year.

No comments: