Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Personal Faith of Obama

If you would like to know what Obama personally believes check this interview out. 

Here are a couple of quotes:

"...I am rooted in the Christian tradition.  I believe that there are many paths to the same place, and that is a belief that there is a higher power, a belief that we are connected as a people."

"...I'm not somebody who is always comfortable with language that implies I've got a monopoly on the the truth...I'm a big believer in tolerance.  I think that religion at it's best comes with a big dose of doubt."

"[Prayer] is not formal, me getting on my knees.  I think I have an ongoing conversation with God...I'm constantly asking myself questions about what I'm doing, why am I doing it."

"Alongside my own deep personal faith, I am a follower, as well, of our civic religion.  I am a big believer in the separation of church and state...in my own public policy, I'm very suspicious of religions certainty expressing itself in politics"

"I think there is an enormous danger on the part of public figures to rationalize or justify their actions by claiming God's mandate."

The entire interview is a must read.  Read it yourself with the following quotes in context.

Let me say this.  We need to be in prayer for our president elect.  I don't think there is anything wrong with praying the same prayer for Obama  that Paul prayed for the Ephesians:

 I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give [President Obama] the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that [he] may know him better. 18 I pray also that the eyes of [Obama's] heart may be enlightened in order that [he] may know the hope to which [God] has called [him], the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, 19 and his incomparably great power for those who believe.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen, Pastor! I love the Apostle Paul's prayers and have been praying this prayer for different people, including Obama. We definitely need to PRAY for him and for ALL our leaders, including, as Pastor Louie mentioned, all our teachers and leaders in the church! What is out of OUR control is NOT out of GOD'S control!!! GOD is in control! Amen! Lynette